Pages

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Public Speaking : DEEP PENETRATION Part II

Last issue we discussed how to get really inside information about a group v2n3 http://www.antion.com/ezinebackissues.htm Now we will look at how to use the information you get.

One of my over riding principals of speaking is to make the audience the stars. One way to do this is to use a very positive or insightful statement that you got from your phone interviews and project it or put it in your handout in ap rominent position. Many times my entire customized presentation is based around the quotes I got from the people I interviewed. I weave my material in and around what they have told me. I then give the overhead or disk to the person who gave me the information. Overheads are much better for this because I have seen them hanging on the bulletin board in the organization. Of course, my name and company are on it too.

Your pre-program research will also help you build rapport and gain an "insiders" position because you will be exposed to the terminology of the group, i.e., you might have used the generic term manager, but you learned that the term "team leader" is used by a particular organization.

The information you receive can also be used to plant the seed for a future presentation or to land consulting work. You might say during a presenation, "Joe, also told me about XYZ. We don't have time to discuss that today, but it certainly warrants some attention. Besides promoting you it shows you did your homework and that you know what is going in a the group to which you are speaking.

No comments: