Questions to ask the Meeting Coordinator:
- What does the organizer want to accomplish because of my appearance?
- Why was I chosen?
- How many people are expected to be in the audience?
- What are their job responsibilities?
- What is the male/female ratio?
- What time am I supposed to speak?
- What is on the program just before I speak?
- What is on the program just after I speak?
- What is the conference title and theme?
- Who will introduce me?
- Who are the other speakers on the program?
- What kind of seating is being used?
- What kind of microphone and A/V equipment is available?
- May I have a list of expected attendees so that I may interview some of them for a few minutes by phone in advance of the program? (this is probably the most powerful technique I know of to really connect with the audience when you speak. I always interview at least 15 audience members.)
Questions to ask the interviewees
- With regard to the topic I am presenting on, what are the three biggest challenges you face in completing your daily duties? (then let them talk)
- Do you have any interesting stories about things that have happened to you while you were working?
Questions to ask yourself
- Considering all the answers I got from the phone interviews, what are the three (or five depending on how much time you have) greatest areas of concern for the attendees.
- What material do I have that can specifically address those concerns?
- What stories do I have that will help them remember my points?
- What visuals will I use?
- What props will I use?
- What should I include in the written introduction that I prepare for my introducer that will be appropriate for this audience.
- How will I open the presentation?
- How long will I go before I have a break?
- What forms of audience interaction will I use?
- In what form, and how much humor will I use?
- Will I provide a handout, and if so, what should it include?
- What will I do and say in case of an emergency (running out of the room screaming is not an option here)?
- Should I have a Question & Answer session, or should I entertain questions as they come up?
- How will I close the presentation?
- How much and when will I practice this presentation?
- How will I stay calm before the presentation?
New Websites to Check out: