Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

Tom Antion - Handouts

Handouts are multipurpose tools that enhance most presentations. They are
also another way to get audience members in fun. I provide handouts for virtually every presentation I do. One of the reasons is that audience members really enjoy being able to take something home with them. For me, it is also a way to make sure they have easy access to my name and phone number in case they have questions or if they want to hire me.

Computer programs make it very easy to create totally customized handouts for your presentations. These are valued by the participants and meeting planners much more than generic ones. I always make a customized cover that is printed on colored paper and that uses some type of graphic that pertains to the group. For instance, if I am speaking to the printing industry, I go to my electronic clipart collection and find something that pertains to printing.

In this case I located a large roll of printing paper. If I don't have any clipart that pertains to the industry, I'll put a cartoon of myself standing on a map of their state. Don't be afraid to be creative. If it is customized to them, they will love it. Most of the time I customize the inside of the handout too. I only use modules that I know will pertain to their group and many times I include quotes that I got from the actual attendees during my pre-program interviews.

I always try to put something fun in the handout.
This virtually insures that the handout would not be thrown away. I gave the attendees a reason for using the handout when they get back to their offices. The stress reducer exercise is lots of fun and again gives my handout a longer life. For space reasons I don't put my name and address on each page in these examples. But when I am actually preparing handouts all my information goes at the bottom of each page.

Learn more handout tips!

No comments: