Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Public Speaking: The REAL Benefits of Humor

TOM'S LIST

YOU WILL BE ASKED BACK. If you succeed in your original purpose for
making your presentation, you may be asked back. If you also make the
audience feel really good by entertaining them at the same time, your chances
of being asked back will be much higher.

YOU WILL GET HIGHER EVALUATIONS OR MORE SALES. If you
make the audience feel good, they will like you better and reflect that in your
evaluation scores or buy more and more often from you.

YOU WILL MAKE MORE MONEY. If you are a professional presenter,
you will be booked more and your fees will rise. If you present as part of your
job, then read the next item carefully.

YOU WILL BE MORE PROMOTABLE. Having and conveying a sense
of humor is on virtually everyone's list of top leadership skills. A humorous
and engaging presentation style will push you up the ladder where good
communications skills are a must.

IF IT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR POPES AND PRESIDENTS, IT'S
GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME. I don't know about the pope, but I do know
that all modern-day presidents are coached extensively on the use of
appropriate humor for many of the reasons stated above.

YOU WILL MAKE PEOPLE HAPPY. This is my favorite benefit. I get
great satisfaction from knowing that I have brightened someone else's life. I
had an executive come up to me after one of my humor seminars and say,
"You opened up a whole new world for me." I almost cried right on the spot.
I'll never forget it.

Get the speaking training you need to be a great presenter!

No comments: