Pages

Monday, August 02, 2010

Tom Antion: Humor In Sales Presentations




If anytime is critical to create excitement in a presentation, this is it. If you can't
get someone excited about your idea, product, or service, it is unlikely you will
ever be great in sales. I'm not necessarily talking about the wild excitement you
see at some multilevel sales rallies. That kind of excitement might get you
kicked out of a conservative organization. I'm talking about your ability to
create the appropriate level of excitement to cause your client to want to sign on
the dotted line.


One of the best sales tools I know of to create excitement is humor. Let me
again qualify that. I mean appropriate humor. I say this because I also believe
that if you won't take the time to gain the skills needed to determine appropriate
levels and types of humor, you will do yourself more harm than good. It's just
like we determined when we talked about touchy subjects. The rule is, "If in
doubt, leave it out." According to Ed McMahon in his book Superselling, there
are three facts when it comes to sales:

Fact 1: We tend to buy from someone we trust.
Fact 2: We tend to trust someone we like.
Fact 3: We tend to like someone who makes us laugh.


His conclusion: You can become a more effective and successful salesperson
by using humor in your sales presentation.

No comments: