Pages

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Presentation Skills: Write Down Their Blurbs

One of the smartest things you can do is to be ready to write
down or audio tape things the audience yells out to you when you
are having fun with them. These lines can be used by you in
future speeches.


One of my stories is about a riches to rags story that I lived. I
build up the story of how I lost a whole bunch of money in a
failed business and then I injured my leg and was bedridden, and
then my girlfriend left me and I finish that part of the story
saying, "and my dog got run over." One time when I told the story
someone yelled out from the crowd something about the dog went on
to write a country music song which obviously referred to all the
doom and gloom I was suffering. This got a BIG laugh.

In future speeches, to relieve the tension of people thinking
that the dog got killed, I used the line, "Don't worry he's OK
and went on to write a country music hit" which always gets a
good laugh.

Always be ready for this when you have a really fun loving crowd.
One way to be sure that you remember the line after the speech is
over is to stop right then and jot the note down while saying
something to the person yelling out the line, "Would you repeat
that because it's funnier than my line / story etc." which will
get a laugh and make the audience member the star.

This is really a win win because you really do need to write
things down when they are fresh because you are likely to forget
them after the speech (especially if you are not audio taping)
and also because you get an interaction with the audience and
another laugh line out of the situation.

Improve Your Public Speaking Humor The Easy Way!





No comments: