Pages

Friday, March 24, 2006

Public Speaking Tip: Be Careful

I was doing an event for 3200 people in California and it was a really big deal. I had a two stage managers with a headset counting down 30 seconds till show time, a personal assistant and complete video crew for tape and image projection. Everything was hustle and bustle and rush, rush, rush. I had another bunch of assistant who, on cue, were going to distribute plastic glow stars so the whole room would be lit with the stars for the grande finale where I had blacked out the room.

The entire production went off without a hitch. People had a great time. Afterwards I was busy shining my halo . . . .until the production company head came up to me and said, "We have a problem." . . . . I did not have a clue what he meant. He told me the assistants were throwing the stars into the crowd and one of them hit an attendee in the eye and scratched his cornea. . . . Talk about your heart sinking. No one knew if he was going to be OK or not. He was on his way to the hospital. . . . It was six week before he found out if the damage was permanent or not. Luckily he ended up with a badly scratched cornea and he is perfectly alright now.

I had let all the hoopla get in the way of my normal briefing of my assistants and it almost cost someone their eyesight . . . BE CAREFUL!

No comments: